We are an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference in the world.
Our ‘West Region’ comprises the South West of England, Wales and Northern Ireland, with offices in Bristol, Cardiff and Belfast. The region provides the majority of the diverse range of skills which form the Arup offer; the scale of the West operation is, intentionally, larger than the market dictates with 700 staff across the three offices including over 300 staff in Bristol, enabling large and complex projects to be undertaken within and outside the region. As a result staff benefit from opportunities across a range of projects both from a skills and location point of view.
We have an opportunity for an experienced Senior Ecologist to join our existing ecology team in our Bristol office, which forms part of a UK network of over 40 ecologists. Reporting directly to the leadership of the West management team, you will be a key member of this diverse and versatile multi-disciplinary group of environmental consultants and other professionals. Your skills will be instrumental in delivering high quality ecological services within the region and beyond, benefitting from opportunities across a range of project locations and types.
You will have opportunities to further develop your leadership skills and contribute to Arup’s UK-wide network of specialist ecologists. We have a secured workload of projects, including some of the biggest infrastructure schemes in the region and the country, and further opportunities for growth and, as such, require a senior individual to develop our growing capabilities.
In this role you will be based in our Bristol office, with occasional travel to other offices and work locations in the ‘West Region’ and beyond.
You will be expected to work closely with the existing ecology team and lead from the front, from project inception through to delivery, at all project scales. You will provide a strong technical steer and guidance to ensure the production of high-quality outputs to tight timescales and budget requirements. Your responsibilities will include the supervision and co-ordination of the activities of ecologists, including their work flows and project resourcing requirements. You will also regularly report on your projects’ status, finances and forecasting.
Your role will also include working closely with our clients, both externally and internally within other Arup groups, seeking out opportunities to further develop the business, at regional and national scales. You will be a practical and pragmatic individual, able to respond to client needs and develop innovative solutions to challenging problems.
Requirements and skills
Essential Skills and Knowledge
- Extensive technical experience in a range of ecological and protected species surveys.
- Management of individuals, teams and projects and proven success of working in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Experience in liaising with and managing clients and developing business.
- Demonstrable skills in ecological impact assessment (EcIA), mitigation, and enhancement, and strategic-level planning, including Habitats Regulations Assessments (HRA).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- The ability to work collaboratively will be essential.
- Ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines and to work on multiple projects.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office range of software and tablet technology.
- Full driving licence.
- Bachelor Degree in Ecology or related subject. Master’s Degree or PhD would be advantageous.
- Full membership of CIEEM. Chartered Status preferable.
- Typically over five years’ professional ecology experience in a consultancy environment.
Desirable skills and knowledge:
- Holder of protected species survey and/or development licences for (bats, great crested newts, dormice etc.).
- Experience in Phase 2 vegetation survey work, notably NVC.
- Experience in major habitat creation projects and biodiversity offsetting.
Reward and Benefits:
We offer a competitive salary at all levels, and one of the best benefits package in our sector.
Core benefits include cover under the UK Healthcare Plan (private medical insurance), Life Assurance, Accident Insurance, and Income Protection (long term disability) cover. Core benefits are funded by us and made available to all permanent staff in order to support and safeguard your financial, physical and mental wellbeing. You will also have access to a grade-related Flexible Benefits Fund which you can choose to take as extra cash, or spend on a wide range of Choice Benefits to help you with your work/life balance.
In addition, all permanent employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme. Subject to scheme rules, employees can receive two Profit Share payments per year, which are dependent on the firm’s financial performance.
We are committed to equal opportunities.