We are an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference in the world. As a wholly independent organisation, we are owned in trust for the benefit of our employees with no shareholders or external investors we determine our own business priorities and direction.
Arup Acoustics have a new opportunity for two acoustic consultants to join our successful teams in the UK, based in one of our offices in either London, Winchester, Manchester, Glasgow or Solihull. You will be working in a team providing acoustic consultancy and design services throughout the UK and abroad on projects including major infrastructure and internationally acclaimed buildings working with leading designers.
Our acoustic consultants are at the forefront of enabling major projects like High Speed 2 to achieve public and parliamentary approval and in helping our clients understand acoustic concepts through auralisation demonstrations in our SoundLab. Projects range from small investigative projects, maybe local to the office, to >£100M international projects, always as part of a project team.
You will be a technical design member of project delivery teams, which includes:
- measurement of noise and vibration and analysis of the results by computational means to provide input to design issues;
- spreadsheet calculation of acoustic methodologies and application of the findings to design questions;
- using acoustic modelling software;
- preparing drawings and writing technical reports or design information.
This requires someone able to provide accurate, succinct and timely presentation of data and solutions through calculations, drawings and report writing and the presentation of ideas in a meetings environment. We encourage and support our consultants to develop new techniques and systems to further the development of our technical offering. Consultants also have the opportunity to lead small teams of other engineers.
These roles require out of hours and on site working (including building sites). The role requires a person who is able to manage time between many competing projects and delivery timetables; is self-motivated and able to present solutions in a clear understandable and timely manner.
Requirements and skills :
Essential Skils and Knowledge :
- Typically around four of more years practice in acoustic consultancy or similar
- Experience in measurements of noise and vibration and analysis of results
- Experience in acoustic modelling software either for environmental noise or building acoustics
- Experience in planning and delivery of projects and managing others
- Experience in acoustic consultancy related to the aviation business sector
- Degree in acoustics or a related subject
- Member or Associate member of the IOA
Desirable skills and knowledge:
- Experience in both building and environmental acoustic design
- Experience of work in 3D computational environments, eg Revit or GIS
- Experience in the development of bespoke software analysis routines or tools
Reward and Benefits:
We offer a competitive salary at all levels, and one of the best benefits package in our sector.
Core benefits include cover under the UK Healthcare Plan (private medical insurance), Life Assurance, Accident Insurance, and Income Protection (long term disability) cover. Core benefits are funded by us and made available to all permanent staff in order to support and safeguard your financial, physical and mental wellbeing. You will also have access to a grade-related Flexible Benefits Fund which you can choose to take as extra cash, or spend on a wide range of Choice Benefits to help with your work/life balance and financial security.
In addition all permanent employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme. Subject to scheme rules employees can receive two Profit Share payments per year, which are dependent on the firm’s financial performance.